I created a family email system a few years back for my family to keep everything we needed at our fingertips. I made it easy for the younger kids to remember and I used this email for the following things.
- Emailed bank statements
- Bill pay receipts
- Store receipts
- School correspondence
- Report card information
- Paperless billing statements
- Doctors correspondence
- Hotel reservations
Don’t Use this Email for All Those Shopper Cards!
Do This Instead for All those Shopper Cards.
I did not give out this email to any of the stores I shopped at for there shopper cards. This would fill up the inbox so fast. I created another email just for giving out to all the stores that now ask for your email.
I didn’t have to really read the emails unless I was looking for something, other wise I would go into the email and just delete everything once a week. Sometimes I would have 100 or more emails in a week just for store adds. That is why I set up this email.
We Use The Google Platform
There are other email systems you can use, I’m just not familiar with them. I like Google and have used it for many years now. They have more than G-mail, they have Google Drive, and with that one program you have Docs, Spread Sheets, Slides, Forms and Drawings. They are right there within your email platform you don’t have to go anywhere. The best part they are all under one email log in password! How cool is that! They have a whole bunch of Apps and they are all free to use. I use Google Hangouts for a lot of business meetings and team chats. I have that app tucked away within my Gmail.
Use an Email System That has a Calender
That will make things a lot easier to set up and link several calendars together. You don’t want to have to add everything from you children’s calendars to yours. It’s much easier when they Sinc together automatically. For me that was the best part. I had everything in one calendar and I didn’t have to put it there.
I hope this helps you keep your day a little more organized and helps you keep all those important emails together in one place.
If You Set Up a Google Account Here is How I Set Ours Up
- First I made a house email.I made sure it was easy to remember. This is the email everyone will use for all the important stuff I listed above.
- Some ideas for the email would be 123anystreet@ or abc.lastname@ Use your street number, phone number, last name, first initials try to make it short so your younger kids can remember it.
- I set up my husband and I an email. I set up our calendars when I set up our emails and I linked both our calendars to the house email calendar. All other things can go to these emails. I still had everything important sent to the house email not to our personal email.
- Our personal email was only set up to have the calendar feature and to receive all our unimportant emails, like blog post subscriptions and other items we know we will read on regular basis.
- Then I set up the kids with their own email when they were old enough to need a calendar. I linked their calendar to the house calendar. Then it automatically linked everything to our calendars.
- Be sure to set up notifications on your phone so you will be notified when you have appointments.
It was really easy to set up. Now I could put the kids functions on their calendar and I could see my husbands schedule and I had a way to make sure everyone knew what was happening within our family. As our kids got older they took responsibility for putting things in their calendar they wanted for us to remember. I did make sure to double-check what they put in to make sure it was correct.
That is it. Simple and effective!
P.S… I’ll show you in my next post in this series how to set up the calendar to get the most from it.